Saturday, January 5, 2008

Day Three - Gumbo

Throughout the day we kept seeing this little black monkey. First at breakfast. Then when we came back from the cave tubing. And again when we left for the jungle hike. We learned his name was Gumbo and he is a 6 month old howler monkey that resides at the resort. There were lots of animals residing at the resort - mostly dogs - but there was Gumbo and some _____ too.

So it was turning out to be a chilly, overcast, buggy day. That's how we ended up at the bar. The room was chill and damp - no need to hang out there and stare at each other or the ceiling. At least we may see some other people if we hung out at the bar/restaurant/lobby. So far we hadn't seen very many other people - well except that cruise ship tour. And we were in luck... My mom was keen on trying the beer of Belize - Lighthouse. Well Belikin is actually the beer of Belize but Lighthouse is their lighter version. I wanted to try the rum. Being the Goslings fan that I am I felt it important to expand my horizons. So here is the critique.
Lighthouse - it was a good lighter beer. I don't think it was a light beer - just lighter. And it came in a tinier bottle.
Belikin - the locals claim it is like Heineken - I beg to differ. This is heavier and less bitter. Maybe somewhere between a Harp and a Newcastle. I liked it.
Travellers Barrell One - tasted like maple syrup. But since we all know rum is made from molasses I would say it tastes closer to brown sugar than the molaases of Black Seal. Maybe a little sweeter than Gosling's Gold? I will be sticking with Black Seal.

This is when we met Elizabeth and Rick. Rick was very taken by Gumbo and Elizabeth followed suit. We figured we may as well join in on the fun. And fun it was - although oddly intimidating at times. I used to sit on my shoulder when he was little in an effort to get as close as possible to me. But Gumbo as a monkey has perfected getting as close as possible.

No comments: